Tuesday, February 9, 2010

McCall 5974 Pics..... Finally

   Sorry, I'm just getting around to posting these pictures of my dress. I had to wait for the rainy weather to stop and for the "other" mother nature to pass (I think you catch my drift). Even with all that time I still haven't hemmed the sleeves or dress yet! Ok I digress.  You might recall that I  posted a review of this dress here a couple of weeks ago as well as on Pattern Review.com. According to my post I wasn't a big fan of the dress because I felt the midriff wasn't very flattering on a short waist-ed person such as myself. A few of you (on both sites requested) that I post pics of myself in my dress (instead of the dressform) so you Guys could see it for yourself.

   For some reason I'm still on the fence about this one. I love everything except the midriff band in the front. I'll definitely keep and wear the dress but I do believe a navy blue cardigan will help balance out this dress a little better and give my torso the length is so desperately lacks!  But my opinion aside,  I'm going to let you Highly Fashionable Gals decide. What do you think?  BTW: I took several pics so you could get a good look at the dress. I'm in NO way vain or anything of the sort. If I was so vain my hair wouldn't be so messy--sorry long day at work.  LOL! Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance for your feedback.


10 comments:

  1. It's a pretty print and the back view is fabulous! Great fit on your curves. The neckline is great, too. I can see what you mean about the midriff. I think it looks good, but might be more flattering if it was a bit longer. I still think this dress looks wonderful and is very wearable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is so much to like about this dress on you. The side and back are a spot-on fit. But I think it needs to be longer in the bodice. I have made this dress, out of a similar print, and have the same reservations that you have, although we have different body types (I being of the Kleenex-box shape!). I didn't like the midriff on me at all, felt that it just accentuated the not-so-positive. But, like you, I'll wear it. But maybe with a sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it looks great on you! I love the fit, and that print is so flattering! It's funny how we think our figure flaws are so glaring, but other people don't even see them... You look stunning, and I bet with make up and a rocking pair of heels (in navy, or maybe even red?) you would turn quite a few heads! I hope you grow to love it... Good luck :))) PS - so funny - the word verification I have to type to publish this comment is "itftsu" - it fits you!!! Well, I guess it's settled then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This dress is darling, and you look great! But I agree, I think the bodice could be slightly longer-- you can see in the profile view that it is pulling up at the bust, which is interesting since your concern is shortwaistedness! Also, I think that a full length view is in order to get a better idea of the overall proportion. I can't see how long your legs are relative to your torso-so I can't see if you appear shortwaisted or not! Great job on the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you're being too hard on yourself. The dress looks really nice on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't it funny, as you can see everyone loves the dress on you, me included but obviously you're just not comfortable in it and that's what really matters try it with the cardigan and hopefully you will get some wear out of it. Love the fabric and fit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely dress and it looks great on you. Pairing it with a cardigan with a thin belt will draw your eye away from the bodice area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Victoria,

    I agree the dress looks lovely on you, here's why: that v-neck shows off your face, those earrings add to the complement, drawing the eye upward, and the knit fabric complements your curves. What I think might be troubling you (and it would bug me too) is that bodice band. The gathers are complementary but maybe the seams that make up the band aren't best placed design-wise? If there were just one seam in the area, placed where it was most attractive on you, it might work better. The fabric print disrupts the effect of those two seam lines however and that may be why the dress still looks good on you. You are looking at it from close up but anyone else who stands that close to study your dress probably won't care at all what you're wearing ! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sincerely Victoria, this dress is lovely on you, the V neck really accentuates your beautiful face. I understand the midrib isuue, but have you tried it with a belt, sometimes,contrasting belt might work to break the print. I love the fabric and you got a great shape for the dress..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Actually, what appears to be what catches the eye is the upper bodice band edge pulling up toward the bust. (I agree with Anna there). Alters the front and side allignment. How about a full bust adjustment, which would enable the bodice band to lie straight from both the front and side projections.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails