Sunday, March 14, 2010

Butterick 5225

   I picked this dress because I wanted to knock out two projects in one week and I knew it would be a great "tag-along" project, that is until my work week became super busy and zapped all of my extra sewing time. I honestly had high hopes for this dress.
 (Here's the pattern)
A simple silhouette combined with a beautiful paisley print would result in a great daytime look, right? Well if only it were that simple. The dress turned out perfectly fine (as you can see on the dressform)  but just not for me .
 
 (And the dress, nice huh, but........)


 It just so happens that I'm a  bit curvier then my dressform which made this dress a "No-Go".  In addition to this I honestly believe my fabric was too light for this design which made it difficult to maintain it's shape. I'm not really accustomed to wearing such loose-fitting clothes and it's usually not very flattering on me anyway. Now usually I'm not bashful but I'll definitely save myself the embarrassment of letting you see me in this  dress. Just please trust me when I say it didn't work.
 (Me and my dressform--It's a PGM size 10 (I forget the measurements) and I'm a RTW size 8 and in patterns size 12 bodice, 14 waist & hip.)
 That's ok, as my Mom used to say, "You can't cry over spilled milk". So I'll see about giving this to someone who can wear it.  And about my dressform looking way more better in the dress then me, there are no hard feelings. As far as I'm concerned, we'll always be the best of friends!!! LOL!

Ok, let me stop goofing around. Here's the review.......


Pattern Description:
Loose-fitting above mid-knee dress has shoulder straps and below waist casing and drawstring.
Pattern Sizing:
Due to all of the added volume of the dress instead of cutting my usual 12 top 14 waist and hips, I cut the size 10---I didn't want to feel like I was wearing a tent!
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes it did actually---especially on my dressform. On me it was a whole different story.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
This is a quickie patterns so the instructions were super easy!
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The pattern was ok but it turns out that the style wasn't very flattering for me.
Fabric Used:
A polyester fabric with a beautiful paisley print in peach, white, and black
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I omitted the waist casing and drawstring.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Nah, this dress isn't my "cup of tea" so I won't be sewing it again.  The style definitely isn't figure flattering for me.  But I definitely recommend it to others. And I think sewing it in a stiffer, recommended fabric such as light linen and stable knit will help the dress hold it's shape.
Conclusion:
Great pattern if this silhouette looks good on you:)

11 comments:

  1. I love your dressform! (And I'm sure the dress looks better on you than you think. Nonetheless, I hear you about not loving it on you. I've totally had that experience.)

    What brand is the dressform? I really want one but I want it to have "breasts" in exactly the same size and shape as mine. Then I will more easily be able to fit bras and woven tops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey K.Line, my dressform is a PGM size 10 and I really do love it. It's a professional form with collapsible shoulders and all of the style lines. Despite being different in sizing I still use it to fit garments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, K-Line, it's quite common for people to put their own bras on their dressform and pad them so they match your own:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someone will love your dress and enjoy wearing it! Make another beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've all been there, as long as it finds a good home, no harm no foul. It's a very pretty dress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks V. I think, when I get one, I'm going to get the PGM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Victoria
    Thanks so much for putting your name down to follow my blog. I tried to send you a personal message but for some reason couldn't figure out how to do it. I adore your blog, you are so great at making these clothes and you have a great figure to dress! I look forward to leaving comments on many more posts.
    Regards,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely dress and sorry to read it didn't work for you. I am sure the recipient of that dress will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Victoria! It's beautiful, and even though you're not going to wear it, you're still keeping up with your sewing goals, so that's great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry the dress didn't work for you. I made the jacket (B5225) several times and I love it. It is a very quick and easy jacket to wear. I am wearing one of the jackets today with a matching skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for your sweet comments. You are just too cute for words! Lovely dress. Girlfriend I've seen more of those days than I care to remember!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails