Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sewing my First Swimsuit......

Well after receiving several inquiries from Serenity Love Sincere Peace Earth about the swimsuit I planned to sew for this month's goals, I knew it was time for me to get to work so I'd have one before the month's end. Thanks SLSPE for the swift kick in the butt:)

It just so happens that I have family coming into town for the July 4th holiday and we're planning an especially fun trip for them to the beach. What better time would it be for me to debut my newly sewn swimsuit. Although I don't need it until next weekend, I've got lots to do until then. I also plan to hopefully sew another maxi dress (from my last post), provided I can settle on the right fabric! I really want a pink paisely printed knit!

 In regard to the swimsuit, I've been doing a good deal of research for the last few days and have gathered all of the supplies I need. Here's my pattern, fabric, lining, and stretch twin needle. I plan to use my serger to sew my swimsuit and attatch the elastic and my twin needle to do the topstitching. I would like to add cups to this swimsuit although there are no instructions in this pattern to do so. I'll just have to rely on the info from a few books I have. From what I can tell it shouldn't be too complicated......I hope!
I've already cut out a muslin from some burgundy swimsuit fabric I have in my stash. I'd like to test the fit to make sure I don't have to do a shorten the back pattern piece or make any other adjusments like hollow out the armhole or leg holes if they're too snug.
Since this is my first time making a swimsuit, I plan to thoroughly document what I do from start to finish. You know I'm just methodical like that.  I'll post my progress in a couple of days. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

16 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see how it turns out! Swimsuits fascinate me but I wear them like, once a year. Can't imagine I'll be making one anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TeeHee.... Thank you!

    Where did you get the fabric from? I have been to Hancocks and Joanns and haven't been to find anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, now sewing your own swimsuit is brave -- very brave! I can't wait to catch up on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have sewn things far more complicated than me. A swimsuit will be a breeze. Trust me. Kwik Sew is what I used and the instructions will hold your hand through the process. I have a hunch that your RTW swimsuit days are over :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo for swimsuit sewing! (I just bought my fabric, waiting for the pattern and sewing courage to arrive.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ola!Obrigada por visitar meu blog! A estampa do tecido está muito bonita para o maiô, acho que vai ficar belo. Espero que se divirta fazendo!

    Hello, Thanks for visiting my blog! The pattern of the fabric is very nice for the swimsuit, I think I'll be fine. I hope you have fun doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see your swimsuit. I keep looking at them in stores and think that they aren't so different from general sewing, but still they seem so intimidating. I look forward to seeing your progress. You must tell us if you find it difficult or easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your swimsuit! Very brave of you, and can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love that pretty blue fabric. Can't wait to see the real thing. Swimsuit sewing is easier than you'd think (although I've only made them for little girls, not myself).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can't wait to see what you make. I have a lovely piece of fabric standing by that I'd like to make a swimsuit from and so far I've been too scared!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looking forward to seeing them! I love swimsuits!:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck on your swimsuit! I can't wait to see it and I really believe you'll do just fine on your first one! Let us know how it went either way!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eagerly awaiting your results! I though it was easy enough, but my elastic skills were weak and I couldn't stand the thought of lining one, so I stopped after the first muslin. Hope to pick it up later - fueled by your success hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you are trying this! I just bought 4 swimsuits last weekend for a big beach trip, but they were so expensive! I'd love to be able to figure out how to make one, so I'll eagerly await your thoughts on the whole process. I don't have a serger, so if you would consider including details about how you could do it on a regular sewing machine, too, I'd be grateful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails