Saturday, March 29, 2014

Simplicity 1814/ Vogue 7014--4th Father Daughter Banquet Dress and Tie--- PIC/VIDEO HEAVY

All I can say is last night's Father/Daughter Banquet was a BLASSSSSSTTTTT!!!! Oh my goodness we had SO much fun. It made any stress I had in making and completing my Daughter's dress and Hubby's tie worth it. My Hubby, Daughter and oldest God-Daughter, Natasha attended together enjoying great food and all of the fun activities. I was asked to help waitress along with others to make sure all of the Dad's and Daughter's had enough food and drinks. The place was packed and it was great to see so many Dad's and their daughter's dressed up and having fun! Well the night really hit a major high when everyone took to the dance floor. It was SOOOO much fun! My Hubby, Daughter and God-Daughter tore that floor up, you hear me! LOLLLLL!!!!  I got in on the action (on the sidelines of course) but they were in the middle of the floor shaking it down. Feels like we all danced and laughed for hours! It was SOOOO much fun! I LOVE my church for having this event every year and for showing folks that fostering good Father/Daughter relationships and relationships in general is a beautiful thing. Pics, Video (yes, this was too funny not to share) and pattern reviews below.

(Group shot after the Banquet. After all that dancing these folks were tired!)

If you want to know why they were so tired here's a VIDEO snippet of my Hubby and Daughter dancing the final dance together. These two are HILARIOUS!!! Donna Summer's "Last Dance" is playing in the background as I film this. The dance floor was crowded ALL night so this was the first time I could get a good shot.  You'll see twirling and them doing "Robot" and all other kinds of hilariousness. I love these two. They keep me laughing!!!!


Ok, here's the pattern reviews......


Time to Sew:
About 4-6 hours

Sewing Ease (scale 1 easy to 10 difficult):
About a 4. Not complicated at all.

Pattern Description:





Pattern Sizing:
Size 6

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
YES!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Yes

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I LOVED the petal type sleeves and the sleeve pleats. I also loved the tulle overskirt.

Fabric Used:
Coral colored polyester shantung.

 (Accesories: I made her headband. Very easy. Make a tube to slide headband through and secured ends. Used store bought tulle flower from my stash and sewed gold trim in the middle of it. Super simple!)

("Dorothy-like" red sequin ballet slippers. Got them at Burlington coat factory for $5.98. Found these the morning of the banquet at last minute. God was definitely looking out for me!!!)



Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I used 4 layers of tulle instead of the 3 recommended. I also used an amazing gold trim with crystals in the middle on the waist band of the dress.

What would you do differently next time?:
Nothing.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Maybe, it was a really cute and easy pattern.

Conclusion:
Amazing little dress for an amazing little girl!!!



(my handsome Hubby and his custom made tie)

Time to Sew:
1 hour once I figured out what the heck I was doing. LOL!

Sewing Ease (scale 1 easy to 10 difficult):
No comment, the instructions had me baffled. I had to toss them!

Pattern Description:
Wonderful Men's tie

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow?
No. I knew the sew in interfacing wouldn't work out well. So I made a few changes.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the shape of the tie. It's the classic shape---not too fat or too skinny.

Fabric Used:
Same as my daughter's dress

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I decided to just steal the one-piece tie interfacing from one of my Hubby's discarded ties and use it in the tie. I then just sewed it by hand on the back as with the original. It's quality interfacing that made the tie look so professional. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Yes. If my Hubby needs another matching tie I'll just make him one. I like having that option!

Conclusion:
Great pattern. Just pick a quality interfacing for it.

We had a wonderful night!!!! I can't wait until next year's!!!!!

24 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the video. It was so much fun to watch your daughter and husband dance together. Of course, the dress is just stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are ALL just too cute together! Love the dress; she looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe so cute. You have a beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh your daughter and hubby are just too cute! Of course your sewing is perfect, too. Yes, you had to feel happy & proud of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post!! I really like the sleeves on your daughter's dress, and of course, those two are adorable together. Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful family.....your daughter is too cute for words.....and looks adorable in that dress....

    ReplyDelete
  7. That video is priceless--what an amazing time for daddy/daughter bonding! The dress and tie are a hit as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect - perfect adorable dress, shoes and matching tie for a very special occasion

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Little one looks pretty in her dress and the accessories too. Husband's tie brought back memories of my attempt at tie making many years ago - however my attempt made me giggle as the fabric twisted but the recipient was too polite not to wear it. Yours looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Both of them look great! I love those little tucks on the sleeves of your daughter's dress, and the headband was the perfect accompaniment for her outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great looking "couple"! You did a wonderful job and I love that color! It sings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Her dress is absolutely adorable... and those ruby red slippers set it off perfectly! Your husband is literally beaming with pride over both his girls.You can see it in the photo. And you... proud mama, wife and designer! You are truly blessed and the world is a better place for having you in it. No doubt, your entire family already knows that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your daughter is so adorable! Love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done! Also, I read Outliers (Malcolm Gladwell fan); and think your blog name is WAY cool!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Little bit is beautiful, and that color is fantastic for her! Love, love, love the petal sleeves. Great job mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful dress and tie!!! You did a great job Victoria. Your little girl is growing up!! So precious.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Victoria, you have outdone yourself girl, everything turned out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great dress, and a great video!! You have such a beautiful family! Your daughter looks precious, and her dancing is oh so dramatic (I have a dramatic daughter, which is fun)!

    ReplyDelete
  20. okay I almost died of cuteness overload....the babygirl dancing with her Dad is just awesome.....and you did a GREAT job on her dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am getting caught up on my blog reading, sorry I missed this it is so adorable, it makes you wish you were there to enjoy it live! Great work on the dress and tie, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails