Sunday, May 17, 2015

Getting Technical about Technical Drawings......

The thing I like most about learning is it gives me a fresh and deeper perspective on things. This is especially the case since I am a SDC fashion design student and recently completed a technical drawing assignment. The assignment was to get 3 skirts---an A-line skirt, denim skirt with topstitching and mini denim skirt with pleats and complete technical drawings of them. Let's just say that I have always admired technical drawings and depend on the of course when looking at an envelope pattern to really understand the patterns design. But I didn't really realize how much work went into actually creating them. They can be quickly made by computer but drawing by hand takes much work. It can easily take up to 2 hours to render a front and back drawing. The importance of technical drawings makes sense since a technical drawing is essentially the road map to creating a garment and is what's handed off to pattern makers, sample sewers and production. I'm naturally a very technical person so I've grown to appreciate this assignment. I submitted my first set of drawings and bombed miserably since I didn't really understand what I needed to do. I mean I used the wrong paper and a fine point sharpie which bled too much and I did some shading when I shouldn't have. After getting clarification from the instructor and getting better supplies I did my 2nd set and felt really great about them. It's REALLY cool to translate a garments details. I'll enjoy making these for my own designs. I've really enjoyed this learning process! Anyhow, below are the skirts I used (bought from Goodwill) and my 1st and 2nd technical drawing attempts.

Part 1: All 3 skirts---Front and Back each--A line denim skirt with top-stitching, long skirt and denim mini with top-stitching and pleats.









Part 2: My First ATTEMPT---not too good---was working with the wrong supplies and not very accurate.








Part 3: My Revision Drawings! These turned out much better when I changed my supplies! There are some mistakes with these but much better then the first. I'm awaiting feedback & a grade from my instructor.




11 comments:

  1. Amazing. Is this an online class???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Faye! I actually saw it on Groupon believe it or not. Guess they were trying to get their attendance up. I ended up liking the certificate program that I upgraded to the Diploma program. Should be done in a little less then 2 years. I just checked and they have the deal again. https://www.groupon.com/deals/style-design-college-online-15. It's deeply discounted. The "catch" if there is one is I imagine most people don't finish the certificate program in the alloted 1 year. Some of the assignments are time consuming. So some folks may have to pay more money to extend the program. Other then that I've been pretty pleased with the assignment/instructor feedback and turnaround.

      Delete
    2. Oh... wow.... so this is something I could do! I might sign up for the certificate program... it really isn't that much money at all ($49 for the combo, quite doable. That $1200 wouldn't have been possible) and I would certainly learn a lot. I am NOT artistically inclined though, but I have zero expectations of going out and working in the field. This would only be for my own enjoyment and learning. Hmmm..... how important is it to have perfect color vision? I have red/green vision problems (fail those tests in the eye docs office in a big way) so that is my biggest hesitation.

      Delete
    3. What kind of time commitment is involved? I realize that can vary, I'm trying to get a rough idea...

      Delete
  2. I don't want to learn design...I don't have the talent you do, but it sure is fun following along with you!!! Thank you for blogging about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my instructor telling us in the Workroom Sketching class that a pattern maker should be able to make a pattern from your drawings if they are as accurate as they can be. So totally different from Illustrations, the pretty side of drawing, but I have always preferred the technical ones! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see the progress! Your drawings look beautiful and inspired me to try myself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the added topstitching lines. I still do some tech drawing, and my sharp and pointy pens are even more off limits than my fabric shears! (Pentel makes some sweet ones, but a fine pointed Flair works great - if you can still find them!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must admit I love doing technical drawings. I never bother with fashion sketches, not that I'm very good at them anyway, but I always do a technical drawing for clients, then use this to make the pattern. Do you have a program to do them on a computer? It is so much faster that way. I use Inkscape. Mostly because it's free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOw they look really good!! What marker did you use for the revised drawings?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails